Klaviyo is an email and SMS marketing platform that offers a variety of campaign types and features to help companies connect with their customers in the most effective ways possible.
In this article, we will explore the different types of campaigns you can send and the automated journeys you can set up with Klaviyo, and everything you need to know to help your business increase sales, customers and brand awareness.
- – What makes Klaviyo so unique?
- – Types of Campaigns You Can Send with Klaviyo
- – Automated Customer Journeys
- – How do Klaviyo Automated Messages work?
- – Basic Flows You’ll Want To Set Up
– Welcome Series
– Abandoned Cart
- – How Can Klaviyo Help You Grow Your eCommerce store?
– Advanced Segmentation
– Dynamic Content
– A/B Testing
– Analytics and Reporting
1. What makes Klaviyo so unique?
Klaviyo’s core feature is that it unifies all customer data and channels in one platform. It was co-founded in 2012 by Andrew Bialecki and Ed Hallen after they realised companies had loads of data but couldn’t use this information to answer simple questions about their customers, let alone use this data to send more personalised messages. So, they created the infrastructure to unite all data, analytics and marketing.
Klaviyo was built to be intuitive and easy to use so that every brand, regardless of size and expertise, can connect with its customers to drive better growth on its own terms. Their mission is also about companies being able to own and use their data to make critical marketing decisions based on their audience’s preferences and increase touchpoints to improve conversion rates.
Today over 100,000 of the world’s most notable brands use Klaviyo’s email and SMS marketing platform.
In its co-founder’s words, Andrew Bialecki: “Klaviyo provides the tools and playbooks for any creator to have more control, more ownership. It doesn’t matter if you create products, services, content—or some of each. We believe the best products and creations can and should win.”
2. Types of Campaigns You Can Send with Klaviyo
- Newsletters: Newsletters are a great way to keep your subscribers engaged and up-to-date with your brand. Its drag-and-drop editor makes it a breeze to create and send stylish and professional-looking campaigns that catch your recipient’s attention. You can also segment your subscribers based on their interests and behaviour to ensure your newsletters are relevant and personalised. It also offers A/B testing for newsletters so that you can test different subject lines, content, and calls to action to see what resonates best with your audience.
- Announcements: These campaigns are perfect for informing subscribers about new product launches, company updates, or important events. You can create targeted announcement campaigns based on your subscribers’ behaviour or preferences. For example, you could make an announcement campaign for customers who have purchased a specific product or subscribers who have recently joined your list.
- SMS: SMS campaigns are a powerful, easy way to connect with your customers in real-time. SMS campaigns are perfect for time-sensitive offers, event reminders, and other urgent messages. You can also use SMS to complement your email campaigns by sending a follow-up message to subscribers who haven’t opened or clicked on an email. Klaviyo’s SMS features include personalised messaging, automated workflows, and reporting and analytics.
- Promotions: Klaviyo allows you to create and send targeted promos to your subscribers, including discount codes, free shipping offers, and exclusive deals to drive more sales and revenue for your business. Its segmentation and personalisation features also allow you to tailor your promotions to specific segments of your audience, such as high-value customers or those who haven’t purchased in a while. And with reporting and analytics tools, you can track the performance of your promotions and adjust your strategy as needed.
3. Automated Customer Journeys
Now you know what makes Klaviyo our Email Marketing Service of choice; it gives you total freedom to personalise and send any promo, discount, offer, newsletter, etc. However, this is only the surface of the many things you can do.
Automation is one of the critical factors for a campaign to be relevant and successful: your customers can’t wait until you have the chance to manually check who purchased what and craft an idea of what to send. You know that’s an impossible endeavour to take on.
Your brand needs to be able to follow up on users who have shown interest and take them on a customer journey that will eventually entice conversion or a repeated purchase. Here is where our favourite feature comes in, Automated flows.
4. How do Automated Messages work?
A flow is a sequence of automated actions, including email and SMS messages, triggered when a person performs a specific action, i.e. when someone joins a list, is added to a segment, makes a purchase or abandons their cart. Any data syncing to your Klaviyo account can be used to trigger and target automated flows.
For example, a welcome series flow is triggered when someone subscribes to your newsletter. After starting the flow, Klaviyo can send multiple pre-configured messages introducing your customers to your brand over time. Flows can include time delays between actions and various paths that split based on different criteria for further customisation.
You can create multiple flows, but we’ll discuss only four in this article.
5. Basic Flows You’ll Want to Set Up:
- Welcome series: a welcome series flow introduces subscribers to your brand and attempts to convert them into first-time customers. This is the perfect moment to send a discount to entice a purchase or offer a freebie to help your brand make an enduring impression.
- Abandoned cart: an abandoned cart flow is triggered whenever a user doesn’t complete checkout. This flow is customisable based on items in someone’s cart and whether they’re already customers, and you can use dynamic content to remind every customer of the things they forgot.
- Post-purchase: a post-purchase flow shows appreciation for customers and lets them know about related products they might be interested in. It is also an excellent opportunity to offer a discount on a future purchase; this helps foster loyalty as customers know they will always get something extra for buying from your brand.
- Win-back: a win-back flow re-engages customers who purchased in the past but haven’t returned in a while. You can reinforce your message and re-introduce your brand to those customers by sending strategically timed campaigns. I.e. Customers who haven’t purchased in 12 months will enter the segment to receive a win-back discount based on the products they’ve previously bought and how many purchases they’ve made.
6. How Can Klaviyo Help You Grow Your eCommerce Business?
We have covered the essential features that make Klaviyo a vital part of your marketing strategy: Data ownership and highly personalised automated messages. Though these alone sound great in the same sentence, there is much more this incredible platform can do to help your business grow.
- Integrations with eCommerce platforms: You can seamlessly integrate any platform with Klaviyo: Shopify, Magento, and WooCommerce are only three of the 300+ integrations available.
- Advanced Segmentation: Create audience segments based on customer behaviour, history and preferences.
- Dynamic Content: Extract content directly from your stock, website or social media to appear on your broadcasts.
- A/B Testing: Refine your message and improve your chances of conversion by testing what works and doesn’t for your audience.
- Analytics and Reporting: Keep track of your industry’s benchmarks, and monitor your open and click rates, spam complaints, and unsubscribes to gain more insight into your marketing efforts.
Klaviyo has changed the eCommerce landscape as we knew it, and the industry has caught up. We firmly believe Klaviyo has the potential to drive growth for your business as it is not only focused on one side of the strategy but instead covers all fronts of your online presence. You can integrate all channels to have conversations with each other and create a customer experience that benefits buyers and makes them want to return and stay loyal to your brand.
Klaviyo can also serve as a wonderful tool for CRM. You can increase the touchpoints between potential customers and your business and use the data you have collected about them to stay relevant and offer value every time.
Connect The Dots is a Certified Klaviyo Partner, as we use this platform to send our broadcasts and nurture our subscribers, and we have some fantastic insights on how Klaviyo can help your business grow.
If you want to know more about what you can do with your business strategy using Klaviyo, feel free to book a 20-minute Discovery Call with our Marketing Specialist, and we will tell you everything you need to know to get started on your way to the top.
Learn more about our Specialist Klaviyo Support.